The last few weeks of our summer has been a time of lazy days with family and friends. I can't believe we're already half-way through our schools hols and although there are times when the boys can drive me completely nuts, I do cherish the time I get to spend with them. Dinners are BBQ's and salads or lighter meals like fish and veggies. Our summer berries are just perfect and I've found myself making a few lovely galettes with the abundance of stunning fruit. I've also loved pottering around my parents' vegetable garden and seeing what's ready to harvest -- so much fun shelling these peas and popping them in our mouths moments after picking them from the pea plants my boys planted themselves :)
Last weekend I picked some lavender and dried it to make this lovely, refreshing Lavender Lemonade. There have been one or two lavender bakes featured on my blog and although I''m not a huge fan of floral notes, something just seems to click with lavender for me. I wasn't sure that this would work but it actually pairs really well with the lemon to create a very smooth flavour. I tentatively shared it with friends and they really loved it too.
If you pick the lavender yourself, you want to harvest it just before the little flowers appear. My lavender was on the cusp of this so I did have a few flowers but this is okay. I cut the stalks long and then tied them with string and hung them upside down for three days to dry a little.
When I came to make the lemonade, I stripped the lavender off the stems into a saucepan, discarding the stems. This is the start of our sugar syrup which once cooled and strained is added to freshly squeezed lemon juice and water over ice. It's that simple.
This recipe makes enough for around four tumblers. To make a large quantity you would need a fair amount of lavender but I love the idea of pairing this with a cocktail so watch this space!!
Makes enough for 4 people
- 30 SPRIGS OF LAVENDER
- 3 LEMONS
- 100G CASTER SUGAR
- 60ML WATER (for the sugar syrup)
- 700ML WATER (for the lemonade) -- I use still water but you could use carbonated if you prefer
- Strip the lavender buds off the stem and place them into a small saucepan, discarding the stems
- Add the caster sugar and 60ml water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes
- Leave to cool and then strain the syrup through a sieve to remove the lavender buds
- Juice the lemons and place the juice in a small jug with the 700ml water
- Add the sugar syrup and stir to combine
- Taste test it and add a little more sugar if you prefer it a bit sweeter
- Serve in tumblers over ice and enjoy :)